The Medfield Animal Shelter’s mission is to rescue lost or abandoned animals and provide for their comfort and safety until they are reunited with their owners or placed in new homes. We are a no-kill shelter, which means no pet will ever be euthanized because it has run out of time to find a home. We are committed to ending the overpopulation of pets that results in an estimated 5 million companion pets being euthanized at shelters in the U.S. every year, therefore all cats, rabbits, and dogs adopted from us are spayed and neutered prior to adoption. We also sponsor a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for cats at our shelter once a month, as well as two feral cat clinics each year.
The Animal Control Officers from both the towns of Dover and Medfield bring all of their stray pets to the Medfield Animal Shelter, and we take in pets from the surrounding area as space permits.
All adoption appointments are still by appointment due to Covid.
- The shelter opened its current facility in 2004
- In 2020 we found homes for 511 pets
- We spay/neuter over 300 cats each year at our in-house low-cost clinics.
- We have over 65 active volunteers
- We care for cats, dogs, guinea pigs, bunnies, birds, hamsters, gerbils, and other critters
OUR WISH LIST
We depend on donations of food, cleaning supplies and cat litter to care for the shelter residents.
In addition to the list here, we also have a wish list on Amazon.com. You can go to our Amazon Wish List to find some of the items we use the most often listed there. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn’t send us donors’ contact information so we are unable to send thank you notes when we receive donations from Amazon.
View our Wish List
- Purina Kitten Chow dry kitten food
- Fancy Feast turkey flavor
- High-quality canned and dry dog food
- Timothy hay for the bunnies and guinea pigs
- Oxbow or Sweet Meadow bunny and guinea pig food
- Scoopable cat litter (this is the one item we ALWAYS need)
- Purina Cat Chow Naturals Indoor with Chicken & Turkey Dry Cat Food
- Fancy Feast, 9 Lives or Purina canned adult cat food
- Paper towels
- Printer paper
- Liquid dishwashing soap (for hand washing dishes)
- Liquid HE laundry detergent
- Catnip toys
- Small fleece blankets
- Cat carriers
- Black oil sunflower seeds (for the bird feeders we have outside the
catrooms to entertain the cats)
- Advantix, Revolution or Frontline for dogs
- Advantage, Revolution or Frontline for cats
- Wood stove pellets (available at Rocky’s Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart – we use them in the kitten and rabbit litter boxes)
- Gift card to Shaws, Roche Bros, Stop & Shop, Petco, Especially for Pets, Home Depot, or any pet supply store
- Pump hand soap